Well after I made my tiny hat I had a better look at it and realised it wasn’t as small as I thought. I was being a bit too cautious with it and it turns out it fits me!
After discovering this I was dying to make some matching mitts. I seem to be obsessed with mitts lately! I wanted to see if I could use one of my new looms and came across this amazing tutorial by mellismishmash. I immediately started working on it and was super happy with the result. Trouble was it was way too wide, so I gave it a go on a flower loom…trouble was the wool kept sliding off the tapered pegs…grrr…I really wanted to complete that tutorial and will in the future.
In case you try it, I did a couple of things to help myself out that may help you too. My loom doesn’t have any marks on it so I tied bits of string around it to mark off places where I had to switch between knit & purl. I also tied some wool around the “first” peg on my flower loom. Since I don’t have a row counter I used a measuring tape to keep track of things.
So since all of that failed me 🙂 I am now knitting a pair. I’m not the most skilled knitter so I’m quite enjoying it. The practice is great.
We move on the 13th and things are getting a little hectic around here! I leave for Canada a week after we move…so um ya…things are a bit nuts! Most of my crafty stuff is packed away. I’ve kept out some wool, knitting needles, & crochet hooks. Hopefully that will keep me going 🙂
(I doing this post on my ipad…hopefully it works out ok!)
Well the exhibition at College started last night and I must say I’m exhausted. Maybe it’s just the stress of the last few weeks finally coming out, plus getting ready to move in two weeks (Wales here we come!), but man I need some sleep! Like a good full night of deep sleep!
So I was a lucky duck and the eBay fairy delivered my Poniy H.A flower looms the other day. I have goggled this name and didn’t really find anything, but they seem to be just like the Hana-Ami flower looms. They come with a variety of shapes and sizes (all quite small) for making flowers or really whatever you desire
There was also a plastic tapestry needle included.
The instructions that came with mine were quite difficult to follow (big time translation problem with terrible photos) so I turned to handy dandy YouTube for some assistance. I used this video by dianagreengirl for the basics.
I decided to make two basic flowers. One was a double petal and the other was just basic. I took photos of everything I did, but I think the easiest way for you to see what was done is to check out the video. Her tutorial was quite helpful.
One thing I must say is that it’s really important to come through the same hole again and again while doing the centre.
I did one flower using the tapestry needle provided and the other with a metal needle. I found the metal needle much easier to use.
This one was the double petal, where I went around each peg twice. I used the hexagon shape here.
This was single petal, and well lookee there! I forgot to trim some craziness off and honestly don’t feel like going back downstairs to take a new photo. Honesty is the best policy 🙂 I used the large circle here.
I have a strong feeling I’m going to find this quite addictive. Especially when I get the hang of things other than flowers. It was quick easy and effective. Other than the craziness hanging off the pink one they are quite cute. I have ordered some larger round looms as well. Should be great fun trying them!