Over the last 2 years or so, due to major stress, I’ve been really struggling creatively. Not necessarily coming up with ideas, but implementing them. Going from making and creating all the time to completing nada was a horrible feeling. Honestly that feeling probably helped pushed me away more from any small idea I came up with.
This may be something that is fairly common for everyone at different points in their lives.
Recently I took it upon myself to make some changes in my life that could possibly help with my problem.
- I’ve created a very loose schedule for myself. If something really important comes up, OK I’ll have to craft another time
- I’m starting with smaller projects to help me get back into the groove
- I’m going to try and be kinder to myself and spend more time doing things I enjoy
- I’m going to get back into using a sketchbook as often as possible
Those a few of the very basic steps I’ve taken and should help me out!
Below I’ve included a few links to some articles that cover some more in-depth ideas.
Please let me know what you’ve done if you’ve ever felt this way!
XO Jane – The Creative Slump: 4 Tips For Finding Your Way Out Of Them
Alyson Stanfield – 10 Paths to Help You Emerge from a Creative Slump
Aileen Swanson – How to “Sketch Book” Your Way Out Of A Creative Slump
Stepping Into Big – 5 Ways Out of a Creative Slump
What is that you ask? Well it’s my first major attempt at knitting with needles. Ok so there is obviously room for improvement, but overall I’m ok with the way it went.
I need to make sure I’m not picking up stitches as often and when I do solve the problem a little better. Casting on was easy. I’d been taught before and it came back to me fairly quickly. Casting off was trickier. I might try it with a crochet hook next as this wool tends to split a lot.
Alrighty so I’ll make another one of these and then make my mitts.
Watch this space! 🙂
Posted in Knitting Loom, Tutorial, Wooly Stuff, You Live You Learn
Tagged hat, kit, knit, knitting, knitting loom, learn, loom, round, wool
So the other day my friend’s mom kindly gave me a couple of 100% wool sweaters (Thank you Mrs Ray!). I had a cool idea for one but wasn’t sure if I could make it work.
First things first. I felted the sweater (washed it at 40 degrees on a regular cycle). If you want to try this 100% wool is the easiest way to go, something that can’t be machine washed may work.
I decided I was going to make a bag. I wanted to keep the sweater in one piece as much as I could. I cut the arms off, cutting just next the seam. I then cut the neck out. Now this is where I made a mistake, but I’ll get to that later.
I flipped the sweater around so the handles (and seams) were together.
I decided I wanted a square(ish) bottom so I kind of folded/tucked the ends in on themselves hoping that would work. I then pinned the bottom and sewed straight across the bottom of the sweater. The square corners basically worked so I am pretty happy with that.
I turned the sweater out so I could have a look at it and didn’t like the seams down the front and back of the bag so I decided to attach some pockets. One on the back and a little double pocket on the front. I’m still practicing my hand sewing, so blanket stitch all around!
As a prototype I’m pretty happy with this. I can see where I need to make changes. I cut too much out around the neck and arms, and need to do something with the straps so the aren’t as bulky. I will definitely be working on this and trying more in the future. I’d like to line them as well. Most importantly it was fun 🙂
So…I normally always make a (measured) pattern, but I got a little gung-ho today. “The rest of my felted wool will make rockin’ mittens!” I thought to myself and drew up a quick mitten shape around my hand on tracing paper. Well the mitten I drew was a cartoon mitt, not a functional in real life mitt.
Still this didn’t stop me! I was excited, I was going to make pretty mittens! I was oh so close…
So I cut out my pieces, sewed them up…then noticed they looked a little funny…then tried them on. Oh dear. There was way too much fabric between my thumb and the rest of my hand. It was like a tiny little cartoon thumb, not a human opposable thumb.
I picked the stitches out and tried to save them. I basically did. They fit which is great, I just didn’t give myself enough of a seam allowance so I don’t think they would last long if I wore them through the winter. I plan on either attempting to fix them again, or making kids mittens out of them.
Too bad, but I did it to myself! You live, you learn. Probably didn’t help that I was being watched by 15-20 cows the whole time. The brown one in this photo was staring at me for ages. Ya, it’s their fault, they threw me off 😉